- South Canberra
- Full time role
- Canberra based registered, independent secondary school
- Do good with Communities@Work
Established and developed in Canberra, Communities@Work is a local organisation that understands local needs. With nearly 40 years of experience, we provide a wide range of services across the entire Australian Capital Territory and also serve clients in the Greater Capital Region.
Communities@Work, Galilee School is a registered, independent secondary school designed specifically for disengaged and vulnerable young people in years 7-10 in the ACT and surrounding areas for whom the mainstream schooling environment has struggled to deliver positive learning outcomes. Galilee School offers a supportive and flexible learning program that aims to meet the individual needs of students.
About the role
Under guidance and support of the Head of Teaching and Learning, the Teacher position (Transitions Coordinator) works closely as part of the Galilee School team to develop and implement lessons and programs in line with the Australian Curriculum and the Student Support Framework, in addition to supporting the students in their day to day studies and activities at the Galilee School.
The Transitions Coordinator will develop guidelines, programs and procedures, in consultation with the Head of Teaching and Learning and Head of Student Support as well as with the broader Transitions team within the school, that encourage positive transitions for young people into, through and out of the school to connect with their next stage of education, employment and/or training.
- Plan, prepare and deliver quality and effective teaching and learning programs which are consistent with the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and relevant syllabi, curriculum, policies, work programs and educational trends
- Develop guidelines, programs and procedures, in consultation with the Head of Teaching and Learning and Head of Student Support as well as with the broader Transitions team within the school, that encourage positive transition for students into, through and out of school.
- Facilitate appropriate referrals to alternative education, employment and training opportunities.
- Promote work-based learning opportunities with Canberra region employers and build strong relationships and partnerships with those employers.
- Maintain teaching competency and currency of knowledge of relevant curriculum programs required by the school or other relevant statutory authorities
- Assist in the preparation of Individual Learning Plans [ILPs] for students in collaboration with the Head of Teaching and Learning
- Provide for the social, cultural and emotional wellbeing and the physical safety of students.
- Maintain student records and samples of work and report on student performance to student’s parents/carers, and other relevant stakeholders
- Participate in both school staffing meetings, school curriculum meetings and Communities@Work organisational meetings as required
- Relevant qualification in Teaching/Education
- Current or eligible to achieve registration with the ACT Teacher Quality Institute [TQI]
- High level interpersonal skills and cooperative work practices and the ability to operate effectively as part of a positive and cohesive team
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences which include staff, parents and the wider community
- Ability to develop, implement and monitor case and support plans for the assessment of educational, emotional and support needs of students at the school
- Confidence and experience in the design, development and implementation of units of work based on the Australian Curriculum and differentiate across a variety of learning abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of the Positive Behaviour Support Framework, Restorative Practices and/or other related best practice models
- Maintain current ‘Working with Vulnerable People’ registration
- Do good, feel good with Communities@Work
- Healthy activity reimbursements
- Career progression opportunities
- Employer funded training opportunities
- Salary packaging options available
How to Apply
Click APPLY or contact Michelle Napier, Talent Management Team on 6293 6545 for a confidential discussion.
Communities@Work encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, mature-aged workers, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply for its roles.