- Fixed Term
- Galilee School
Established and developed in Canberra, Communities@Work is a local organisation that understands local needs. With nearly 40 years of experience, we provide a wide range of services across the entire Australian Capital Territory and also serve clients in the Greater Capital Region.
About Galilee School
Communities@Work, Galilee School is a registered, independent secondary school designed specifically for disengaged and vulnerable young people in years 7-10 in the ACT and surrounding areas for whom the mainstream schooling environment has struggled to deliver positive learning outcomes. Galilee School offers a supportive and flexible learning program that aims to meet the individual needs of students.
About the role
Due to growth of Galilee School across two campuses and the successful implementation of Learning Support Assistants, Galilee School is looking to increase their support team within the school. Under guidance and support of the Head of Teaching and Learning, Learning Support Assistants (LSA) work alongside teachers to support the education of all students or at other times specific students including those with special learning needs. LSAs work as part of the Galilee School team to implement lessons and programs aligned with the Australian Curriculum and the Galilee School Student Support Framework, in addition to supporting the students in their day to day studies and activities at Galilee School.
- To work in consultation with teachers/staff, to support instruction to students in specific areas, e.g. literacy & numeracy tasks, social skills, specialist subjects.
- Act as a liaison with the classroom teacher(s) for the purpose of ensuring the implementation and evaluation of the established Individual Learning Plan (ILP) of an assigned student.
- Using equipment and materials, prepare or assist in creation of curriculum support materials or assist students in the preparation of materials, e.g. iPad, conducting science experiments, audio visual recording, and document preparation on computers.
- To assist with managing student learning and/or behaviour.
- To liaise directly with teachers regarding student progress.
- To meet with the Head of Teaching and Learning regarding student progress on a regular basis.
- Maintain records as determined by the Head of Teaching and Learning
- Participate in the pastoral care, sport, co-curricular, playground supervision, parent nights, and other programs of the School.
- Other duties as specified in the Position Description, Please note Learning Support Assistants (LSA) are not responsible for planning programs or assessing student outcomes or asked to accept sole responsibility for supervision of students e.g. in classroom, yard duty or excursions.
Skills and Experience
- Relevant qualification in Education Support
- Experience working with students with disabilities in a school setting.
- Familiar with some targeted intervention strategies and learning programs.
- Demonstrate an aptitude, experience or qualification for this position.
- Ability to communicate with diverse audiences which include staff, parents and the wider community
- High level interpersonal skills and cooperative work practices and the ability to contribute to a positive and cohesive team
- Willingness to adhere to, and work within, the strategic vision, direction, and philosophy of Communities@Work Galilee School
- Maintain current 'Working with Vulnerable People' registration
- Personal experience of collaborative practices in a similar school environment and a sound knowledge of learning and pedagogy for a similar student cohort
- Demonstrated understanding of the Positive Behaviour Support Framework, Restorative Practices and/or other related best practice models
- Current driver's licence
- Current First Aid certificate
- Do good, feel good with Communities@Work
- Healthy activity reimbursements
- Career progression opportunities
- Employer funded training opportunities
- Salary packaging options available
How to Apply
Click APPLY or contact Michelle Napier, Manager, Recruitment on 6293 6545 for a confidential discussion.
Communities@Work encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, mature-aged workers, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply for its roles.
Closing date for applications: 08/04/2020